Friday, July 25, 2008

Starting Out

For those of you that know me, know that I struggle with my weight. I have for the past 10 years. It's just been a fact of life for me. Well, I am going to change that fact! I am taking charge of my self and am finally doing something about it. Sure I've tried different things in the past. Weigh Watchers, Abs Diet, Curves, etc... They all had their short-term postive outcomes. However, the after effects were disasterous. I would lose 10 pounds and put on 20. Now, I'm not the best at math but even I know that's bad. Real bad. Next thing I know, I'm up to the weight I'm at now. Are you curious what that is? Me too! I haven't fully decided if I'm gonna share that secret yet or not.

You may be wondering why I'm so willing to put something so private out in the open. I'm asking myself the same thing!! How scary!! One word: ACCOUNTABILITY. If I'm telling all you guys about me doing this then I have to stick with it and do it. Does that make sense? I got the idea from a woman who works for a Chicago magazine that is doing the same thing. I figured if she could do it then so can I.

I will be posting my thoughts, feelings, and frustrations. My plan is to keep this updated as often as possible and post a picture from the start, middle and end. I am looking for encouragement and words of wisdom. I am not looking for "I told you so" or anything negative. If you want to make fun of fat people, this is not the place to do it. I will first shut down my blog and then find you and sit on you. Consider yourself forewarned.

The program I am doing is called PositiveLite and is offered through Goshen Hospital. Since I am a colleauge there I get a really nice discount, which helps tremendously. It's 6 months long. I meet with a doctor, nurse practioner, personal trainer, and dietician at various times throughout the month. They have a workout facility that is open to me and a counselor that I can talk to when I feel the desire.

I had my first consultation with Dr. Hawkins on Tuesday. He is a funny guy. Kinda out there actually. We talked a lot about me. He said I have a great personality for poor weight management. That's always nice to hear. I guess OCD only takes you so far. We discussed my migraines. He put me on Topamax. It's supposed to help migraines and seizures. It also substitutes as a weight loss drug. It has some frightening side effects. I started it Tuesday night. Looking forward to the craziness starting. Sometimes my mind gets to spinning, I get really sleepy, and I start slurring my words. Good times. Can't wait till I have to double the dose next week. Memory loss and suicidal thoughts are two prominent side effects. I told the girls at work that if I don't show up some day that they better check on me. I may have tried to kill myself or I just plum forgot to come into work. Either way, I'll need help. (In case you didn't know, joking is my way of coping)

I had my first fitness training consult today. The lady, I call her "The lady" because I don't remember her name, is really nice. We sat and chatted for a little bit then onto the machines. They have their own facility right there at the center. I tried and learned every machine there. We devised my workout plan. I will start on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Then work my way through the 8 machines that exert all my muscles. Last but not least I will do sit-ups with the help of a giant ball that I have an unhealthy fear of falling off of. I need to do this routine 2-3 times a week and the days I am not doing it I am supposed to walk for 30 minutes. I can totally do that, right??

I'm starting to get nervous.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Tracy this sounds like a seriously AWESOME program!! I know you can do it! I am really anxious to read your blogs on this and I support you so much in this!

PS - I think blogspot is kinda addicting... consider yourself warned ;)

Anonymous said...

Tracy,...Hurrah for you...I am glad you are approaching your struggle with weight in a healthy manner. We need to all be more sensitive to our unhealthy snacks which tempt you and all of us...but I really can't see eating broccoli like Deana does every day. Let me know when you want to walk during lunch, I need it also. Sandy

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
I am so proud of you! I need to do something like this! I have gained slowly over the years but for some odd reason the last 3 years or so I ahve been able to maintain and lose a little here and there all by walking the dog. I walk her every day for at least 30 minutes except when it is winter and I have been able to stay the same. So keep in mind whatever you do, even it is walking it helps!
Good luck and I can't wait to see how things go! If it doesn't work out we can always go on biggest loser together!
It can be your back up plan!
Jen

Chantelle said...

You can do it Tracy! The program sounds nice and super cool that that fitness place is right there - no excuses now.

Another blog I have recently ran across is www.ashisfit.blogspot.com Thought you might be interested in that one as well.

Anonymous said...

Girlfried, now you are my hero. Your blog may be about accountability but it is also a bit about vulnerability and no one likes being vulnerable. Everything comes in its time and I think now is yours. I am a little scared that when you fit in my black dress and keep the same dashing personality that those hugs around Jeff are gonna be bit more intimidating. :) Love ya and let me know if you need someone to have a lite lunch with. James

Anonymous said...

Tracy you can totally do this!! ! You know I'm here for you if you need anything (especially broccoli)!! Deana

Anonymous said...

Tracy I think this is so awesome!I am so proud of you for this. And I would love to ask you about this and encourage you if that's what you want. Just reading this gave me the chills.I think you are such a strong person with the right attitude and if anyone makes it through this it would be you!!GOOD JOB!!And if you ever need someone to walk with you or work out with you I would love to. I have one of those balls to that you're talking about maybe you can show me how to use it!

Anonymous said...

Tracy-

That is so great to hear, I know you will be happy with your results because you are going to stick to it! I'm proud of you!

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you and inspired by you Tracy :) I cannot wait to read your journey through this and be your encourager!!!! I love you girl! *muah*

Addi said...

Way to Go Tracy! You are awesome and I know that you can do this!